Unauthorised Encampments

Roadside EncampmentThe Government defines unauthorised encampments as 'encampments of caravans and/or other vehicles on land without the landowner or occupier's consent and constituting trespass'.

Unauthorised encampments fall into two main categories: 

  • Public land - land owned by local authorities (highways, schools, public parks and car parks)
  • Private land - privately owned land.

The quickest and easiest way is reporting online.

Report an unathorised encampment:

Public land     


Private land        

Partner agency form        

Please use the form above if you are a partner agency and would like to report an unauthorised encampment.

Criminal Damage

If damage is caused or people have been threatened, this is a police matter:

  • If it is an emergency, dial 999
  • In all other cases, contact Devon and Cornwall Police on 101

Who deals with Unauthorised Encampments?

It depends on who owns or controls the land.

All unauthorised encampments on Cornwall Council or Highways land will be initially investigated by Cornwall Housing. Cornwall Council will then make a decision on the most appropriate course of action based on the information provided to them by a visiting officer.

If the encampment is on privately owned land it is for the landowner to resolve.