Ex Armed Forces

If you have served in the Armed Forces and are in housing need

Applying as homeless before discharge or before you become homeless

If you are worried about being homeless when you leave the Armed Forces, speak to a Joint Services Housing Advice Office.

You do not need to wait until you are made homeless before you ask for help and assistance.

Ex-forces and single, homeless and on the streets

If you do find yourself single, homeless and on the streets contact Cornwall Housing Options service as soon as possible so we can provide you with help and assistance

In order to help you, we will need to ask you questions and investigate your circumstances.

Local connection

We may enquire into your local connection to Cornwall. The following will create a local connection:


  • currently work in the area
  • have lived in the area for six out of the last 12 months or three out of the last five years

Housing in armed forces accommodation can be residence of choice. A member of the armed forces can obtain a local connection in the area they were posted.

  • live with a partner who currently works in the area

If you do not have a local connection to Cornwall we may refer you to a local authority where you do have a connection. If you do not have a local connection to any local authority then you can decide which Authority should deal with your case.

Useful phone numbers

  • British Legion - Local for forces - 0333 252 8267

  • SSAFA - 0800 731 4880 - Serving and ex forces (inc reserves) having had one payslip only. This service can also include partners + civil partners, wives and former wives and husbands, widows, widowers, dependent children and those who provided care to servicemen

  • Armed Forces Covenant - providing help/support and contact numbers for armed forces/veterans and their families 
  • Alabare Veterans Housing (avoiding homelessness)
  • The Veterans’ Gateway - 0808 802 1212 or enquiries@verteransgateway.org.uk - single point of contact for veterans seeking advice/support
  • Regular Forces Employment Agency
  • Armed Forces Charities Portal - links to over 2,200 armed forces charities
  • Veterans UK - 0808 1914 418 - support for ex service personnel
  • Commonwealth Veterans - People who served for the Commonwealth - Contact the RCEL on their number: 020 3207 2413 
  • Help for Heroes - 0845 6731760 - support and services for wounded, injured and sick Service and ex-service personnel who have suffered illness or injuries in service (this also includes mental health)
  • BLESMA - 0208 590 1124 - help for service.ex service who have suffered life-changing limb loss or use of limb, an eye or loss of sight  
  • Blind Veterans - 020 7723 5021 - provide tailored support to Armed Forces and National Service Veterans
  • The Big White Wall - is an online mental health support service for Veterans and those currently serving, their families and carers, as well as other communities. It’s an online support group which aims to reduce the stigma of mental ill health. 
    This is a free and anonymous service for Service and ex-Service personnel. All they need to do is register
  • Campaign Against Living Miserably - 0800 585858 or CALM, is a registered charity, which exists to prevent male suicide in the UK. It offers support to men of any age, who are down or in crisis, through their helpline and website
  • Combat Stress - 0800 138 1619 - for Veterans with wide range of mental health issues
  • NHS Mental Health Services - on Cornwall Council, Armed Forces Covenant
  • Haig Housing - 0208 685 5777 - provide housing assistance for severely wounded and disabled service/ex-service personnel
  • Soldiers Off the Streets - 01745 356622 or 07773 493088 - practical support for homeless ex-service personnel (clothing, food and rehab and advice on PTSD, Alcoholism, drug abuse, housing and employment).  
  • SPACES - 01748 833797 or 01748 872940 or 01748 830191 - secure accommodation for individuals when leaving the armed forces to prevent homelessness or sleeping rough.
  • Stoll - 0207 3852110 - help for ex-service personnel (vulnerable and disabled veterans)
  • Defence Discount Service - discounts on the high street and online (shops/restaurants etc). 
  • Joining Forces Credit Union - Savings accounts/loans available to members of the Armed Forces and their families.
    These are: Planesaver : 0208 607 5020; Serve+Protect : 0845 266 1113; London Mutual Credit Union : 020 7787 0770
  • MoneyForce - help all Service personnel, their partners, families and dependants, to be better equipped to manage their money and financial affairs. Whether they're dealing with debt, interested in investments or puzzled about payday loans, MoneyForce will give them all the information they need to get MoneyFit.
  • The British Forces Resettlement Services (BFRS) - 0116 254 5477 - employment advice
  • CivvyStreet - 0800 169 4073 -  support and mentoring for armed forces for employment
  • LifeWorks - 0800 319 6844 (fully funded 5 day course for tools for employment)
  • Army Families Federation (AFF) - 01264 382326 support for Army families
  • Navy Families Federation (NFF) - 0239 265 4374 support for Navy families
  • RAF Families Federation - 01780 781650 - support for RAF families
  • Family Information Service - 0800 5878191 or fis@cornwall.gov.uk