Homeless following release from prison

In most cases, prior to being released from Prison your Resettlement worker will refer you into the Local Authority. Where they believe you have a Local Connection.

If you are referred to Cornwall, the Prevention and Engagement Team will start to work with you prior to your release date. This is to work with you as soon as possible.

It is important that you speak to family members or friends to ask them to accommodate you in the first instance. As you may not meet the criteria for emergency housing.

We will work with your existing support networks.

Rough Sleeper Services

If we identify that you will be street homeless and you are not eligible for emergency housing, we will refer you into rough sleeper services.

Longer-term housing

Your caseworker from Housing Options will put together a Personal Housing Plan. The aim of the plan is to work with you and/or your Probation Worker to make sure you have somewhere suitable to live for at least the next 6 months. The Plan will set out steps you and the council have to take.

Steps to take to finding a home:

  • Look for an affordable private rented tenancy
    (the Local Authority can consider helping you with rent in advance and deposit if this is payable)
  • Your caseworker will refer you into various Supported Housing that meets your needs

How will I be able to afford my tenancy being on benefits?

You may be entitled to Rent Benefit from the Government. This will be paid by either Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Costs. If you are single and under the age of 35 you will only be entitled to the shared room rate. In which case, all that may be affordable to you in the private rented sector is a room in a shared house.

Please also see the Shelter website and other helpful sites below for more information: