Options to move

Look for a new home

There are lots of different services to help you stay in your current home. But if you feel your home isn’t suitable for your needs and you are looking for a new home you may find there are many different housing options available to you that you haven’t thought about. Like private renting, shared ownership options, Council or Housing Association homes or even swapping your current home for something more suitable.

Privately Renting

Privately renting allows you the freedom to chose where you live, to chose the type of property you want to live in and to move more quickly should you need to.  

We know trying to find the rent deposit and rent in advance can be expensive so we may be able to offer financial assistance through our Homelessness Prevention Scheme. Please speak to your Housing Options Officer for further details.

If you are unable to afford the rent yourself, you may qualify for financial help through the Housing Benefit system. However, you will need to know the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rates for the area you want to live in as this will be the maximum amount of housing benefit you can receive. The amount of LHA you can get usually depends on how many bedrooms you are entitled to, LHA rates are based on the postcode the property falls under. To find the area your postcode falls under and the maximum rent allowed please view the Rent Service website.

You can also contact the Housing Options Officers for further advice and assistance in securing a private rented property.

Shared Ownership or Intermediate Rent schemes

Whether you are looking for help to buy or rent, South West Homes are the help to buy or rent agency for Cornwall. They have a range of affordable options and advice to help you search and apply for your new home through the Government ‘Help to Buy’ schemes.

If you are interested in shared ownership or intermediate rent schemes you will need to complete a full application and be assessed as eligible by South West Homes. You can contact them via their website www.swhs.org.uk

Back to the top of page

Council or Housing Association

To apply for Council or Housing Association homes you should speak to one of our advisors, or visit our specialist web pages.  If an application to Homechoice is appropriate, we will assess your application and you can use our website to search for available proprieties, apply for properties and view results of weekly lettings. You will have most chance of finding accommodation this way if you have a local connection to Cornwall.

A Local Connection Applicant must demonstrate that they, or a member of their household meet one of the following criteria:

  • They are resident in Cornwall and have been so for the past 12 months continuously and that residence is of their own choice.
  • They have been resident in Cornwall for a continuous period of 5 years at sometime in the past.
  • They have permanent (regarded as 16 hours or more per week – exceptional cases will be considered on their own merit) employment in Cornwall and this employment is not of casual or seasonal nature.
  • They have a close family connection (normally mother, father, sister, brother, son or daughter) where the family member is currently resident in Cornwall and has been so for the past 5 years.
  • Special circumstances – Where there is an exceptional need to move to the County. Examples include but not limited to: those needing to move closer to specialist medical/support facilities

Cornwall Homechoice Allocations Policy is located on the Council Allocation Scheme page.

If you register and don’t bid, your application may be cancelled, so if you like the offer you need to put a bid on it.  If you need any help with bidding, please contact us.

Swap Your Home

If you are a Council or Housing Association tenant you can register to swap your home anywhere in England and Wales. To register go to the Homeswapper website where you can create an advert for your property and look at other people’s adverts too.

There’s lots of information on our mutual exchange pages, but if you are still threatened with homelessness after considering the options to stay put or move, you should contact us on 0300 1234 161 or complete an online contact form with a brief description of your circumstances and we will contact you.

Back to the top of page


NPSS Silver Icon