Housing Options and Homelessness

Call Centre image of two people looking at a computer screenThe Housing Options Service provides free information, assistance and specialist advice to landlords, tenants and owner occupiers to help keep you in your home or by helping you to find alternative accommodation.

Rough sleeping

Please view our rough sleeping section for help and information if you are currently rough sleeping or at risk of rough sleeping. You may also be interested in seeing the Cornwall Council Homeless Reduction Strategy web page.

Preventing homelessness

There are lots of different services in place to help you to stay in your current home. If you can’t stay in your home the next option is to look for a new home.

You may have more options than you think.

Take a look at our self-help guides      

Emergency applications

The Homelessness service is an emergency service, and we have a duty to help only those people who meet strict criteria but we will always try to help you to avoid becoming homeless in the first instance.

If you make a homelessness application your case will be passed to a dedicated Homelessness Officer to consider your application in more detail.  The process will involve an interview, investigation and decision.

Read more about emergency applications

Information on homelessness is also available on our ‘quick links publications’ page in our homelessness leaflet.

Emergency and temporary accommodation

If we cannot help you prevent becoming homeless, the Council may provide temporary accommodation for some households until they find alternative accommodation. This could, in emergencies, be bed and breakfast accommodation, or a property leased from a private landlord by the Council or a Housing Association, or it could be supported accommodation, reserved for use by homeless families (such as Polruan hostel). The type depends on demand at the time of homelessness, and where there is a vacancy.

It is important to understand that being provided with temporary accommodation by the Council is not a guarantee that permanent Council or Housing Association accommodation will be offered. You are expected to look for your own accommodation, as well as registering on the list for social housing.  We may offer you accommodation in the private rented sector via our Stepping Stones to Homes Scheme.

NPSS Silver Icon