Non-violent relationship breakdown

This advice is for people who are experiencing a non-violent relationship breakdown. A breakdown with a person they share accommodation with..

Do I have to leave?

Housing rights in a relationship breakdown can be complicated and you may need to seek legal advice. If you have a joint tenancy or own a property with your ex-partner you may still have rights to occupy the place you are living in together

You may have rights to remain in the property even if you do not have a joint tenancy or own the property jointly. This may be the case if you have dependents living in the property. If you are living in social housing, it is very unlikely that your landlord will get involved with the details of who can remain in the property. This is because this matter is guided by Matrimonial Homes and Children’s Act legislation.

It is important that you seek legal advice before leaving the property.

Where to go for housing help and advice

You are advised to seek legal advice. Many law firms offer fixed fee interviews where you can get comprehensive advice on your legal rights to remain in the property. And how the matter can be resolved longer term.

How Cornwall Housing can help if a court determines that you must leave

If you apply to Cornwall Housing Ltd for housing assistance because you are homeless in these circumstances. We may not necessarily be legally obliged to provide you with any accommodation.

However, we will have a duty to assess the circumstances of your homelessness. Identify what your housing and support needs are. To work with you to try to prevent your homelessness or support you to find you somewhere to live. We will provide you with a ‘personal housing plan’ which will tell you what we can do to help you and what you can do to help yourself. This might include actions such as attending appointments with Employment and Skills services. Or visiting letting agents to secure yourself alternative accommodation.

Help to find private rented accommodation

There is a wide range of accommodation available in the private sector in Cornwall. 

Apply for a council or housing association property 

Accessing social housing can take a very long time. Applying for a council or housing association property.