Help with common problems

On this page you will find information about common problems in the home and what to do about them.


What should I do about condensation?
The most common cause of damp and mould.

  • Keep your home warmCondensation
  • Make sure you have plenty of ventilation and air circulation
  • Do not use bottled gas fires and paraffin heaters
  • Open up vents in windows if possible
  • Never block up a chimney completely – have an air vent fitted
  • Dry clothes outdoors whenever possible
  • If you use a tumble dryer, use a condensing tumble dryer or one that vents to the outside
  • Keep kitchen and bathroom doors closed to prevent moist air from spreading to other rooms
  • Don’t overfill cupboards or wardrobes
  • Use an extractor fan if fitted
  • Where possible put wardrobes/cupboards against internal not external walls and leave a gap of 2” or 50mm behind wardrobes/cupboards on external walls
  • If you have ‘trickle vents’ fitted on windows, make sure they are open at all times

More information can be found in our presentation 'A guide to damp and mould' or in our leaflet.

If you continue to have problems with condensation, contact us on 0300 1234 161.

Video tip

John Harris, Launceston tenant and Chair of the Tenant’s Forum providing his ‘top-tips’ on preventing condensation during the winter months.

What should I do about frozen pipes?

If you find that you have frozen pipes:

Turn off the water at the main stop tap and open the cold taps - report the matter immediately to us on 0300 1234 161.

What should I do about a burst pipe?

  • Report the matter immediately to us on 0300 1234 161.
  • Turn off the water at the main stop tap and turn off any valves from the water tank
  • Open all taps to drain the water from your system
  • Turn off any water heaters
  • If anything electric gets wet - do not touch it. Turn off electricity at the fuse box
  • If water leaks through the ceiling, place a bucket under the leak

Pest control

We understand that pests often cause a nuisance to you and your neighbours or may even cause damage to property.

Some examples of pests are:

  • Rats, mice and other vermin
  • Cockroaches, ants, fly infestations and other insects
  • Wasps, hornets and their nests

It is your responsibility as the tenant to organise for the removal or eradication of pests where you live.  Please contact the local pest control services in your area.

It is very important to note that Bees are not pests and are protected by law so must not be killed. Bees and their hives must be removed by a professional beekeeper.

Bee swarms or beehives should be reported to your local Environmental Health Services at Cornwall Council.  

Alternatively, you may want to contact a beekeeper in your area who will remove a beehive.  

What should I do about a gas leak?

If you smell gas in your home:

  • Turn off the gas supply at the meter
  • Do not operate lights or any other switches including door bells
  • Do not smoke or use a naked flame
  • Call the gas emergency number in the telephone book (under 'Gas' - free service) or telephone 0800 111 999

We are required by law to service your gas and oil fired heating system once a year. You must provide access for this to be carried out.

Further information is available in the Tenant Handbook