Notes and conditions

As part of the termination of your tenancy there are a number of things that need to be undertaken prior to your return of the keys to Cornwall Housing, these are listed below:-

  • Inform your utility providers, (Gas and Electricity) that you are moving and date you will vacate the property.
  • Inform South West Water that you are moving and date you will vacate the property.
  • If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit, enquire if you are entitled to overlapping benefit to cover the notice period.
  • Clear any rent arrears in full, or if unable to pay arrears in full, contact your Rent Management Officer to agree a repayment arrangement.

In accordance with your tenancy conditions the property should be left in a clean and tidy condition.

All household refuse and garden waste must be removed from the address. Items of furniture, carpets, curtains, blinds etc and appliances should be removed along with any non standard electrical fittings. If items are left at the property, Cornwall Housing will arrange for the disposal and the cost involved along with an administration fee will be re-charged to the tenant/s or the tenant’s estate.

During the notice period the Housing Management Officer and Void Inspector will contact you to arrange an inspection of the property, when you can discuss any concerns with them and confirm the arrangements for clearing the property.

Keys should be returned to Cornwall Housing Ltd, Chy Trevail, Beacon Technology Park, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2FR or any of Cornwall Council’s One Stop Shops. Ensure you are given a receipt for handing your keys in and keep it safe.

If the keys are not returned on the due date and contact has not been made to extend the notice period, the locks to the property will be changed and the cost of this work will be re-charged.

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and you vacate the property before the tenancy ends, Housing Benefit will only cover the rent up to the date you leave. You may be entitled to claim overlapping benefit for the remaining notice period. Please contact Cornwall Council Benefits Department to discuss tel 0300 1234 121.

If the termination is following the death of the sole tenant and the deceased was in receipt of Housing Benefit to cover the rent, the Housing Benefit will cease on the day that the tenant died and the rent for the notice period will be liable from the deceased’s estate.

Please contact the Void Control Team on 0300 1234 161 ext 701550 to discuss any other queries you may have.