In this section



What if my heating isn't working?

Although this might sound obvious, have you checked your thermostat? 18 degrees is a good temperature to set your thermostat at, but this depends on your home and preferences. 

If your heating still isn't working, please see our advice on what to do if you have a gas boiler. We've also got some tips for using your air source heating during cold weather.

What should I do about frozen pipes?

If you find that you have frozen pipes:

Turn off the water at the main stop tap and open the cold taps - report the matter immediately to us on 0300 1234 161.

What should I do about a burst pipe?

  • Report the matter immediately to us on 0300 1234 161.
  • Turn off the water at the main stop tap and turn off any valves from the water tank
  • Open all taps to drain the water from your system
  • Turn off any water heaters
  • If anything electric gets wet - do not touch it. Turn off electricity at the fuse box
  • If water leaks through the ceiling, place a bucket under the leak

Pest control

We understand that pests often cause a nuisance to you and your neighbours or may even cause damage to property.

Some examples of pests are:

  • Rats, mice and other vermin
  • Cockroaches, ants, fly infestations and other insects
  • Wasps, hornets and their nests

It is your responsibility as the tenant to organise for the removal or eradication of pests where you live.  Please contact the local pest control services in your area.

It is very important to note that Bees are not pests and are protected by law so must not be killed. Bees and their hives must be removed by a professional beekeeper.

Bee swarms or beehives should be reported to your local Environmental Health Services at Cornwall Council.  

Alternatively, you may want to contact a beekeeper in your area who will remove a beehive.  

What should I do about a gas leak?

If you smell gas in your home:

  • Turn off the gas supply at the meter
  • Do not operate lights or any other switches including door bells
  • Do not smoke or use a naked flame
  • Call the gas emergency number in the telephone book (under 'Gas' - free service) or telephone 0800 111 999

We are required by law to service your gas and oil fired heating system once a year. You must provide access for this to be carried out.

Further information is available in the Tenant Handbook